The list that follows is just a few ways to support a mindful lifestyle. The main takeaway from this lifestyle is to be AWARE. Mindful living can also be called awareness living. This awareness living is the best way to understand yourself and others. Mindful living is a way to focus on the present moment instead of ruminating on the past, which no longer exists or future tripping about what is to come. We should all strive to live mindfully. Focusing on the present moment allows us to gain control over our thoughts, feelings, and actions. With the mindful living tips featured in this article, you can take action every day to live more presently.
1. Cook the meals you eat – This is a very simple way to nourish your body and practice mindfulness. But it isn’t always easy, right? We are rushing about in our daily lives, going through the drive-thru and throwing items in the microwave. In reality, many meals can be prepared in less than 30 minutes, and a salad takes less than ten minutes. It’s okay to notice the resistance in your body to cooking meals when you’re tired. Allow yourself to feel the resistance and cook a healthy meal anyway. To live mindfully, you need to be aware of the food you’re putting into your body. And that means you’ll have to invest in cooking homemade meals on a regular basis.
2. Mindful eating: While cooking is an important part of mindful living, so is eating. How often do you eat your food in less than 10minutes? Did you notice how your food tasted? Yeah, likely not. When it comes to mindful living, you’ll want to savor your food. Notice the sensation of chewing. Pay attention to the flavors. Notice how it feels.
3. Walkabout: Mindful walking is simply paying attention to the fact that you are walking. Look up, what do you see? What do you hear? Is the temperature comfortable? Be present while you walk. Pay attention to the environment, to your senses, and emotions.
4. Active listening: Listen to others. No, really listen to them. Don’t plan your day or listen only to respond. Listen to what they are saying and HOW they are saying it. Be in the present moment. Give your full attention to who is speaking.
5. Pay attention to the CONTENT you are consuming: Have you ever noticed that the content you consume ends up shaping how you view the world. Do you constantly watch drama on TV and then pick fights with loved ones. Or maybe it’s the news, and you find yourself constantly judging people for their bad behavior. I know I found this to be true with me. After 9/11, I became obsessed with the news. My teacher, Gen Mondrub, suggested that I limit my consumption. It was the single biggest change in my life at that time. I started focusing on positive content and found myself feeling more compassion and love for others. It may not be a bad idea to take a social media detox to see how that affects you as well.
You can start living your life more mindfully using the simple steps listed in this article. Take a deep breath. Look around. Breathe. Every breath, you are in a new moment.
Stacey is a Meditation and Mindfulness coach specializing in Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR). If you would like more information, you can follow her on Facebook @CoachStaceyTurknett. You can also reach her by email at Stacey.email@example.com and by phone at 850-879-1481.